Using this guide, you'll be able to connect *without* a port number.
Getting StartedFor this tutorial, we'll be managing DNS settings via Namecheap. The settings shouldn't differ much for the domain registrar you're currently using - however, not all registrars allow you to edit SRV records directly. You may need to contact them to do this.
ConfigurationFirst, log in to Namecheap and select 'Domain List'. Then click the 'Manage' button for the domain you wish to use.
Click the red 'Add New Record' link to enter a new record.
First, we need to setup an A Record. In the fields, fill out the settings as follows:
- Record dropdown menu: A Record
- Host: [subdomain] or [@]
- To join using just your domain like anvil.pw, set this to '@'
- To join using a subdomain like play.anvil.pw, set this to 'play'
- IP Address: [server IP address]
Now we need to add an SRV Record. In the fields, fill out the settings as follows:
- Record dropdown menu: SRV Record
- Service: _minecraft
- Protocol: _tcp.[first part of sub domain used in target - for example, "play"]
- Priority: 0
- Weight: 5
- Port: [server port number]
- Target: [server address]
- Enter the address (without the port) of your server - for example, just 'anvil.pw' or 'play.anvil.pw'
Click the 'Save All Changes' link to save your settings, and you're done! Please note: It can take 30-120 minutes for the DNS information to propagate, meaning you may not be able to connect to your server using the new information immediately.