Using this guide, you'll be able to connect *without* a port number.
For this tutorial, we'll be managing DNS settings via GoDaddy. The settings shouldn't differ much for the domain registrar you're currently using - however, not all registrars allow you to edit SRV records directly. You may need to contact them to do this.
First, log in to GoDaddy and click on the gear for the domain you wish to use. From the dropdown, click the 'Manage DNS' button.
Navigate to 'Records' and click the green 'Add' button to enter a new record.
First, we need to setup an A Record. In the fields, fill out the settings as follows:
- Record dropdown menu: A Record
- Host: Set this to something you won't use in the future, such as [server].
- IP Address: [server IP address]
Now we need to add an SRV Record. In the fields, fill out the settings as follows:
- Record dropdown menu: SRV Record
- Service: _minecraft
- Protocol: _tcp
- Name: [what you'd like to connect with - for example, "play"]
- Priority: 0
- Weight: 5
- Port: [server port number]
- Target: [server address]
- Enter the address (without the port) of your server - for example, just 'server.anvil.pw'
Click the 'Save All Changes' link to save your settings, and you're done!
Please note: It can take 30-120 minutes for the DNS information to propagate, meaning you may not be able to connect to your server using the new information immediately.